Motivation Tips for Summer Workouts
Updated: Apr 18
It’s too beautiful outside. You’d rather meet friends on the patio. No matter your excuse to not work out, here are some tips to help you get those workouts in so you can enjoy your free time off.
1. Adjust your body temperature. Cool shower before or cold rag/ice pack on heat points.
2. Decrease direct constant light heat if possible. Look for shade, mornings or evenings for outdoor workouts. Natural light for indoor workouts.
3. Keep tabs on your heart rate. Heart rate monitors or RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion) checks throughout.
4. Similar to #2, be creative with workout spaces in terms of heat. Try non-reflective surfaces, take advantage of fans or breeze.
5. Cool down with essential oils. Certain oils also double to open nasal passages, so you can breathe a little easier when the air is humid.
6. Do intervals. You'll maintain your conditioning and burn more calories without having to go all-out the entire time.
7. Flexibility Training. Turn the rising temperature to your advantage and concentrate on improving your flexibility with some yoga moves.
8. Practice random acts of fitness. Sneak in little bits of exercise with some summer-friendly activities.
9. Protect your head. A visor, hat, etc. are great ways to shield your face from the sun while still allowing excess heat to escape from your head.
10. Refuel with fruit. They're more than 80 percent water. Keep 'em frozen for a refreshing treat. Other good options: Smoothies, frozen yogurt, or Jell-O with fruit chunks. If you've lost a lot of salt (hint: your clothes have white sweat stains after a workout), replace sodium by drinking V8 or a sports drink.
Interested in a fitness/wellness consultation or have some questions about nutrition and your current fitness program? Join any of my groups online (Facebook) and/or pick up my book, How to be Fit for Life - Eight Proven Steps to Reaching Your Fitness Goals, Getting Results, and Living the Fitness Life for more help with your fitness journey. And please feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have:).