ACSM Fitness Trends: Top 10 for 2021
The American Council of Sports Medicine (ACSM) has just released its report on top fitness trends for this year and I'm here for it! The list demonstrates responses to the pandemic and gym shutdowns but items listed are not new at all.
Drumroll please .... The Top 10 Fitness Trends for 2021 are:
1. Online training - was number 6 on the list last year, it's being being defined as training specifically for at-home or on-the-go fitness experiences.
2. Wearable technology - wrist and chest trackers and fitness apps
3. Bodyweight training - included in this is suspension training (TRX)
4. Outdoor activities - a rising trend prior to 2020 but one that grew significantly due to the pandemic.
5. HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training, Boot Camp, shorter more intense workouts
6. Virtual training - new to the list, different than #1 Online Training in that "virtual" is being defined “as the fusion of group exercise with technology offering workouts designed for ease and convenience to suit schedules and needs.
7. Exercise is Medicine - remained a top trend in 2021. Throughout the pandemic, many fitness professionals have been further convicted in the important role health and exercise play in preventative healthcare.
8. Strength training with free weights - included in this any portable resistance equipment
9. Fitness programs for older adults - included in this is working on all aspects of health especially mental and strengthening immunity.
For the full “Worldwide Survey of Fitness Trends for 2021” report, visit ACMS’s website.